Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Tale of Sugar Buns



Deliciousness. I got asked to design a wedding cake. My friend over at Delicity Cakes makes some amazing examples of what cake can be. Not only are these babies pretty like most of the fondant cakes that are becoming stylish, but they are made from scratch so they are TASTY! Her fillings are made from real fruits and fresh ingredients, none of this canned stuff. So, you get a cake that makes you rethink everything you thought you knew about layered fluffy pastry structures. How do I come into this? Well, this couple wanted quite the cake. Everything but the kitchen sink...hot dogs and buildings and sushi and monkeys and clocks...oh, my! She figured that as an artist I might be able to make sense of it. I worked out a sturdy square base with a hexagonal tier to accommodate all the different objects on it's facets and then two more smaller tiers. The objects were quite complex, so I offered my help even though I had never worked with fondant before.
For those of you that have never seen the stuff...it's sugar, it's dough...it's a pain. It dries out, cracks, sags and sinks. However, after working for almost non-stop without sleep...she baked and I cut "relish" out of fondant and made hats for monkey grooms; we had a wedding cake at the nick of time. Here it is:

The shrimp sushi. I had lots of fun with the airbrushing.

Front of the cake. Lower tier airbrushed all around and Chicago skyline done in fondant.
Trees were done in back and some cherry blossoms as well.

Macy's clock and hotdog. I am fairly proud of this considering it was my first cake.
It was a challenge considering the design is not very cohesive considering the theme of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment