Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Having Yourself as a Client

The past few months have been largely spent finishing the embryology project. So far, it has been very gratifying. Now that it is near completion I need to turn inward again. The first thing I need to do is revamp my business. I am getting older and learning from my past mistakes. Slowly I have introduced contracts into my process, a more formal pricing guide...this is starting to look like a real business! And it needs to be to serve both my customers and I.

Currently I am revamping my website and entire identity. I have stalled on this for a little while. When you are an outsider it is easy to look at a company and immediately know what it needs, where it's strengths and weaknesses lay. When it's your own company it's harder to separate all those knots. However, it reminds me that a business is an evolving creature. Instead of being frozen in place seeking perfection- sometimes all you can do is just throw yourself into it. That alone is a great learning experience.

I am approaching my own identity by trying to narrow down what I do. I am interested in everything and have to constantly rope myself in from trying to be a jack of all trades.  This is both a strength and a weakness in one. By focusing my services to my strengths I hope to give my clients the best of me. Branding and illustration. I would say that those are the two things I am absolutely passionate about. Something about looking at a business and trying to distill it to it's absolutely core components is a challenge. Even more so is making sure that is conveyed to the consumer.

My personal challenge in having myself as a client is that my illustration has two very different sides. One is the surreal and cartoony. My newspaper clients expect this fun, stylized side. On the other is my medical work. I am not yet certified, but I try to produce work that is as accurate as it is pleasing to the eye. Do I make a clean, sleek and clinical identity for myself? Do I give in to the creative and fun? Ultimately, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment